For the last few days there was a pressing question in my mind. What is the difference between a muffin and a cupcake? This is very thought-provoking because they're made in the same way, they look almost the same, and they use the same cupcake cups when baking. Who's to say that if I bake a muffin in a little cupcake cup and put frosting on it that it's not a cupcake? At first I thought it was just that one has frosting and the other doesn't but then again, if i took the frosting off a cupcake is it now a muffin, or if i put frosting on a muffin is it now a cupcake? I asked one friend of mine and she said "One is for breakfast and the other is for dessert" but this is just a societal norm, as how society has deemed a doughnut a breakfast meal and desert.
I searched Google and found a bunch of technical answers about density and batter type, but finally I asked a friend of mine who is a chef and he told me squarely that the difference is just the frosting, and also apparently if I put frosting on my muffin it is now officially a cupcake!! My mind was blown!!! It's as simple as that.
I actually like none. Sadly I only get a sweet tooth once maybe twice a month. But, I know someone who loves muffins for a fact, my ex-mother in law. I will surely make my daughter read this post so she could stop asking me if dessert can be breakfast.
ReplyDelete