I'm sure many of you have heard the song "Anaconda" by Nicki Minaj. This song irks me, and the video even more so. First of all, the song is a slight spin-off of Sir Mix-A-Lot's original song "Baby Got Back" which is an all time favorite of many people who have heard it, including my own.
Secondly, the song is amazingly catchy due to the beat, both form the "Baby Got Back" lyrical parts and her own portions. Lastly, the video is amazingly revealing and only refers back to the Sir Mix-A-Lot lyrics in the booty aspect (as always in most of Nicki Minaj's video). I'm not sure of anyone else, but the first time I watched it I was stunned and slightly embarrassed like being a teenager watching a movie with sexual behavior around your parents. I will say that she has some nice lyrics in this song, and in this song I can actually understand why they are in the song, I can't do that with many of her songs. The fact that Sir Mix-A-Lot's song was taken into this revealing context, in my opinion, brings shame to his song and how great it is, even though the Nicki's song has been such a success and kind of shows the gist of his song- big butts. I watched a parody of her song and in it some of the lyrics Sir Mix-A-Lot asked Nicki to share her profits, but she said no and in the end he told his Anaconda (a real Anaconda snake) to eat her, and then it did, eating her whole. One great video to watch relating to this song is the one about how teenagers react to this song, it describes how they think and their views on this the video and its effects on society and what it says to the children of today.
I can't stand her or her music. I caught my bestriends 7yr old daughter dancing to anaconda the other day and I freaked out. I immediatley told her that it was unexceptable behavior andshe is to NEVER dance like that again.
ReplyDeleteMrs. Hopburn
ReplyDeleteI was shocked my self when I saw the video! I saddens me to know that this is what my children may be exposed to when I'm not in there presence. I think its cool that woman want to be respected an equals when It comes to me but sometime in the process we end up devaluing ourselves. Not only did I think this video from shocking but I was more surprised that T.V. has gone so far. All I can say I believe values for one self worth has been misplaced somewhere along the line and we need to go and find it, quick, fast, and in a HURRY.
That is funny …. I saw the other day a couple of videos from different teen dancing like her. I know that is part of the freedom of expression, but there should be at least a specific hours for that kind of music/videos.
ReplyDeleteI agree it is very sexual. What they show not only gives out a terrible message to our children. But, it also fills their minds with things that shouldn't be on their minds in the first place.
ReplyDelete