Thursday, December 4, 2014

Post 23- Statistics

I think that statistics are great, they give you a number to visualize, which allows you to see something in more depth and clarity. Statistics can serve as our logos in a topic. We view statistics as fact because we know that their made through a wide range of observations, surveys, and research. Sometimes though, we cannot trust what a statistic has to say because: through research studies each category of study may not be presented equally and may have a theory’s results leading more to one side or generalizing/overgeneralizing a group, in summation the final result may not be as accurate as it should be. There may be a lot of ethnic gloss for example, whereas a group of people may be generally labeled instead of being labeled specifically according to who specifically replied. To clarify, ethnic gloss can be shown in a survey of different races, but instead of specifying the race it would be generalized to sum everyone together. But even though this occurs, statistics are great supporting material in our schoolwork as well as our jobs.

2 comments:

  1. Yvvone,
    Im totally agreed with your post and I beleived Mr. Hamon thinks the same thing because he likes to collect data to create his teaching plan. This is defenitevely a good thing not only because the data is gathered for actual students but because is made from them to them. I loved math, but the statistics class gave me nothing but headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People understate statistics but in every way it's essential for life or business. It's needed more that people think. I enjoyed this class when I took it. I had a teacher named Mr. Denochamp, the class was hare but he made it relatable to everyday life.

    ReplyDelete